Step by step to your place in a hall of residence
All application information at a glance

  1. You can easily fill in the application form online.

    An application can be placed on our application list at the earliest three months before the desired move-in date. You can also get the application form at the Counselling Centre Accommodation or you can print it out.The completed application should then be sent with a photograph to Studierendenwerk Hamburg, Von-Melle-Park 2, 20146 Hamburg. If we receive an application with more than 3 houses, the first 3 houses will be included in the application. All other selected houses will be deleted. You can apply for up to 3 specific houses or for all houses. Applying for all houses increases the likelihood of getting a place faster. 
  2. Please note that the waiting times for a 1-room flat are generally very long. When applying, you should therefore also consider the category "room".
  3. We keep our application list up to date: Therefore, we send you an application list request by email at regular intervals: If you confirm your interest within the deadline set there, you will continue to be noted on the application list. If you do not respond within the deadline, we will assume that you are no longer interested in a place and remove your name from the application list. With this updated application list, we ensure that everyone who is interested can move up in a timely manner. 

  4. As soon as it is your turn, you will receive a written offer of a place and can move in accordingly. If you decide not to accept the offer, we will remove your name from the application list.

  5. Please inform us if you have found another accommodation.

Free dormitory places for trainees and students

If you are interested in a free dormitory place, e.g. in our modernized Rahlstedt hall of residence, please apply here.

Our rental conditions
You can stay with us under these conditions

When am I entitled to reside?
German and international students who are enrolled at a Hamburg university are accepted, as well as visitors from the state-run Studienkolleg and the Hamburg Conservatory in Blankenese. (Individuals, couples and families).

When am I not entitled to reside?
Interns, students of the Bundeswehrhochschule and the Evangelische Fachhochschule für Sozialpädagogik are not entitled to live in residences of the Studierendenwerk.

Standard residence time
The standard period of residence is four to five years. Periods of residence with other housing providers in Hamburg are taken into account.

Rental conditions
You can view our rental conditions in the corresponding rental contract (Please do not fill in the contracts online!).

Rental contract for permanent residents | Download (PDF)
(applies to all residential complexes except for the Gustav-Radbruch-Haus high-rise building and the Hammerbrook residential complex.)

Rental contract for permanent residents of the Gustav-Radbruch-Hauses (high-rise building) | Download (PDF)

  • Annex to the rental contract of the Gustav-Radbruch-Haus (high rise building): excerpt from "Förderungsbestimmungen der Hamburgischen IFB" | Download (PDF)
  • Annex to the rental contract Gustav-Radbruch-Haus (high rise building): Service charges catalogue| Download (PDF)

Rental contract for permanent residents of the residence complex Hammerbrook| Download (PDF)

  • Annex to the rental contract of the residence complex Hammerbrook: excerpt "Förderungsbestimmungen WK "| Download (PDF)
  • Annex to the rental contract for the Hammerbrook residential complex: Operating costs | Download (PDF)
  • Annex to the rental contract for the Hammerbrook residential complex (Heating and ventilation) | Download (PDF)

Admission and renewal guidelines for the residential complexes| Download (PDF)


Important information for programme students
Contingents for short stays

Many students who are only in Hamburg for a short time as part of an exchange programme such as "Erasmus" or "Socrates" can obtain a place to live directly. The Studierendenwerk of the respective university provides a contingent for this purpose.

For further information and to apply, please contact your coordinator in the host or home country or the International Office of the Hamburg university responsible for you. You can find the International Offices or contact persons of the Hamburg universities on the respective pages:

House rules
Rules must be...

The following house rules apply in our residential complexes | Download (PDF)
(applies to all residential complexes except for the High-rise building of Gustav-Radbruch-Haus and the Hammerbrook residential complex)

Dormitory dictionary
Life in residential complexes in words and pictures

How do you explain German waste separation to Chinese students, what does washing machine or hotplate mean in Polish?

To answer these questions, the Deutsches Studierendenwerk  (DSW) has created an illustrated dormitory dictionary. It shows foreign students life in halls of residence in words and pictures: from house manager to washing up, internet and party, everyday situations are translated in different languages.

Tenant and application portal

You want to apply for a place in our residential complexes or are already a tenant with us? Then you've come to the right place!