HVV - proof of entitlement
Reduced monthly HVV tickets

Students who are not studying at a Hamburg university can, under certain conditions, obtain an HVV entitlement certificate (HVV = Hamburger Verkehrsverbund) from the Studierendenwerk Hamburg, which entitles them to purchase a reduced monthly ticket.

You study at a university around Hamburg and commute to the university every day and live in Hamburg?

In this case, we require a current certificate of enrolment or a student ID and a confirmation of residence no older than six months confirming sole residence in Hamburg in order to issue the proof of entitlement. This regulation does not apply to students who are enrolled at a university in Schleswig-Holstein, as here through tickets are offered according to the Schleswig-Holstein tarif from the HVV area (Ring A+B or Ring B). Students at Leuphana University Lüneburg should contact their university directly. Students at distance learning universities (e.g. FernUniversität in Hagen) are not entitled.

Are you doing an internship in Hamburg as part of your studies at a university outside Hamburg?

Then, in order to issue the proof of eligibility, we need a current certificate of enrolment and a proof of internship showing the type and duration of the internship as well as the amount of remuneration. The income limit is currently € 1,200.00 net. Even if the internship is to be carried out free of charge, this must be stated in the confirmation. Working students and part time student workers are not entitled.

How to get the proof of entitlement

At the moment we cannot issue the credentials in person. Please send us your documents by e-mail or post. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Amt für Ausbildungsförderung (BAföG-Amt)
Grindelallee 9
20146 Hamburg
Telefon: +49 / 40 / 42 815 - 5144, - 5145
Fax: +49 / 40 / 41 902 - 6126

Telephone office hours
Mon 9:00 - 11:00 h
Tue, Thu 14:00 - 17:00 h
Wed 9:00 - 11:00 h

Studierendenwerk Hamburg
Postfach 13 01 13
20101 Hamburg

The letterbox in Grindelallee is accessible throughout.


Saving taxes
Saving through study costs

Tuition costs can result in significant tax savings when you enter the workforce. Students in particular benefit from this

  • who have already completed at least 12 months of training prior to their studies.
  • in the master study
  • in a second degree program
  • in a dual study program
  • in extra-occupational studies
  • in doctoral studies

Study costs include all costs that are inextricably linked to the study program, e.g. tuition/course/examination fees, semester fees, technical literature, photocopies, working materials (e.g. computer, software), language courses, revision courses, tutoring, conferences, excursions, travel costs, accommodation costs away from home and interest on a student loan.

Since students usually do not earn any income or do not earn much, the study costs can lead to losses. These losses are carried forward to the next year by means of a so-called "loss carryforward" and offset against its result. In this way, losses from several years of study can be accumulated, so that they can lead to a reduction in taxes after graduation. However, as soon as income is already earned during studies, the tax office will immediately offset earlier losses, so that in the case of income that is below the basic tax-free amount but above the recognized losses, the loss carryforward has no effect. While the submission deadline for a voluntary tax return is four years, losses carried forward can even be claimed retroactively for seven years.


How it works

Students submit a tax return for each year of study; in the case of freelance or commercial income (compulsory assessment), no later than 31.7. of the following year. There is no limit to the deduction of study costs, so it is advisable to collect receipts for study costs and keep them ready for an audit by the tax office.

In contrast to the above-mentioned student groups, for students in their first degree (initial training), study costs are currently only taken into account in the current calendar year and only up to a maximum amount. This results in a tax advantage only for income that is significantly above the basic allowance in the same calendar year.

The tax office of the place of residence accepts the tax return. Those registered in Hamburg can find their tax office Finanzamt here, all others here hier.

Beratung zu Steuerfragen bieten insbesondere Lohnsteuerhilfevereine (nur für Studierende ohne Honorare und gewerbliche Einkünfte), der AStA der Universität Hamburg sowie SteuerberaterInnen an.

Advice on tax issues is offered in particular by Lohnsteuerhilfevereine (only for students without fees and commercial income), the AStA of the University of Hamburg AStA der Universität Hamburg and tax consultants (SteuerberaterInnen).

ISIC - International student identity card
The companion through your studies

The International Student Identity Card - ISIC for short - gives access to exclusive benefits for travelling, shopping and leisure activities in over 130 countries around the globe. With the ISIC, student status is also recognised abroad.

With the free ISIC app with virtual ISIC card on your smartphone, you won't miss any of the offers nearby and the map function keeps you on track, no matter where you are. This means that your student status can now be easily verified on your smartphone.

You can apply for the ISIC online. A photo ID, a current proof of enrolment and a colour passport photo are required. The virtual ISIC costs 15.00 euros and is valid for one year from the date of issue. The ISIC plastic card is available for an additional 3 euros and will be sent to you by post after the application has been checked.


Broadcasting licence fee
Pay less or no broadcasting licence fee at all

A monthly broadcasting fee of €17.50 is payable per flat, regardless of how many people live there and regardless of whether and how many broadcasting devices are present.

The fee is also due for rooms in student residences that lead off from a generally accessible corridor (regardless of whether they have their own bathroom or kitchen). If several rooms in the student housing complex are arranged like a flat and you live like in a shared flat, only one person per shared flat has to pay the fee. However, this only applies if the shared flat is separated from the generally accessible hallway or staircase by a flat door and only the residents of the shared flat have a key to it.

Shared flats, non-marital partnerships and families only pay one contribution. BAföG recipients who do not live with their parents can apply for exemption from the obligation to pay the broadcasting fee. Likewise, students with certain disabilities or as recipients of certain state social benefits can apply for exemption or reduction.

You can find out more about this in the information sheet Infoblatt of the Deutsches Studentenwerk (German Student Union) and on the website of the Website des ARD ZDF Deutschlandradio Beitragsservice


Housing Authorization Certificate (§ 5-Schein)
Living in publicly financed apartments

Publicly financed apartments (social housing) offer a very favorable housing option. For renting you need a "§ 5-Schein", which you can get for a fee at the district office if your annual income is below certain income limits. Students with a residence permit according to § 16 of the Residence Act are not entitled to receive a Housing Authorization Certificate (Wohnberechtigungsschein). You can get more information at your district office.

Also interesting
More topics